Friday, June 10, 2011

We Have Liftoff!

First of all, After School Special was bottled without incident.  All praise the presence of Casey in such matters. The Irish Moss worked really well to clarify our beer, so this will be our first that won't be cloudy and contain extra yeast and hops and whatever else.  The only regret I have about this beer is that there's nothing inherently interesting about it.  We followed an amber ale recipe, changing only one type of hops and a slight deviation in yeast.  I know I'm brewing for a lot of people that are not nearly as interested in beer as I am, but I still wanted to wow them.  Maybe the fact that it's homemade beer will wow them?

In other news, I got the lager to restart fermentation.  Dan and I had lengthy discussions about repitching yeast - what effect will it have on the beer?  Will it change the flavor?  Will it matter?  We decided to raise the temperature a few degrees and agitate the wort to give it a last chance.  Voila!  It's finally bubbling and gurgling and doing normal yeasty things.  Just thinking about it makes me want to take a gravity reading.

1 comment: