Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review: Les Deux Brasseurs Belgian Ale - De Proef Brouwerij

Ahhh funktown. I love me some funky beer. Which is why Eric brought this one home from our awesome neighborhood beer shop to try it.

Appearance: The photo is indicative of what I see; the beer pours like a typical belgian ale. Also just like in the photo, the head is very foamy, but it quickly dissipates. Carbonation is continuously floating up from the bottom.

Aroma: I definitely get the typical funky aroma that comes with a wild beer: it reminds me of slightly rotten apples, but in a really good way (if that's possible). However, compared to other wild ales I've had, the aroma on this beer is much more subtle, and a fresher, sweet and fruity aroma accompanies it.

Taste: It's a smooth tasting experience from start to finish. Just the like the aroma is less intense funkwise, so is the taste of this ale: it's not very sour. I also get flavors of fruits like dried mango and crystallized pineapple.

Mouthfeel: Because I like to be overwhelmed with carbonation, this beer was a bit flat for me, but it might have been because I drank it at a slightly warmer temperature than intended. Otherwise, the beer has a nice, light mouthfeel, not syrupy or cloying at all.

Overall: This beer would be a great starter for someone who is new to funky beers. I definitely enjoyed drinking it, but I think I'd like to try it colder next time. I'd give it a B+.

Beer Advocate gives this beer an A-, so it seems that others have a strong liking for this beer as well. If you find it, give it a try, I think it'd be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment