Tuesday, May 3, 2011

End of the (School)Year Brew

I need some ideas.  I kinda, in passing, sort of promised that I would brew a beer to serve at the end-of-the-year party for the science teachers at my school.  I don't mind doing that.  In fact, the more we brew, the better we get at it.  My dilemma is about the type of beer to brew.  What do most people who either a) drink light beers, b) drink wine or c) rarely drink at all want in a beer?  Should I make a pale ale? an IPA?  Would those be too hoppy?  I know I should limit the ABV on this one, so even our 6-7% Weisenheimer Hefeweisen is too much.  An amber ale?

I want to showcase our brewing skills but make it more appealing to everybody.  I don't think Brains would go over well in this crowd.  Too much going on.  Too much alcohol.  Too dark and heavy.  I need something light, refreshing and solid.

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. I think if they generally like good beer, a good brown ale or amber ale would work, but if they are more of Miller Lite types, maybe they could be our guinea pigs for a test batch of pilsener?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ALL ABOUT the brown ale! Hahaha

    I don't mind using the first lager for that purpose, but if it doesn't turn out well then I have nothing for the party. I was thinking we could brew something a bit more assured of coming out well. Like an amber ale that we dry hop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice amber is pretty middle of the road, something malty and a little sweet is difficult to hate on. Plus ambers go with everything.

    ReplyDelete