Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stuffed Chicken in Dark Ale

I took on a new venture last night - cooking with beer.  I've been meaning to try it for quite a while now, and I may have been subconsciously motivated by the new TGI Friday's ad campaign about meals for "craft beer lovers."  Ok not really.  I saw that commercial well after I decided on last night's recipe.

The meal was stuffed chicken breast over rice.  This is how it went down:

Cooked white rice in my rice cooker with lime juice, oregano, red pepper flakes and turmeric.  This turned the rice a nice yellow color and had a different flavor than the usual white rice.

Sauteed chopped leeks, garlic, red pepper and spinach in Black Toad Dark Ale (purchased at Trader Joe's...it's really good just to drink, by the way).  I sliced the chicken breast to make a fold and then breaded it with panko. Stuffed the chicken with the veggies and then placed each breast in the pan with the stout for about 3 minutes on each side.  Then it went in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Perfection.

3 comments:

  1. Don't knock it until you try it. It wasn't a waste...it was DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm all for cooking with beer. My grandma used to make an awesome beer-battered fish using fish the guys would catch during our fishing outings in Indiana. It was great because it used the big brewery lighter style beers that are cheap and nobody really felt like it was a waste.

    I found this recipe yesterday after hearing about Eric's meal here: http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/beer-and-food/recipes/recipes-list/show?title=amber-ale-barbecue-beef

    I can't wait to try that one, mainly because it is perfect for my cooking skill level: easy.

    ReplyDelete