Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Review - Meinklang Ancient Grains Ale

The label is the best part.
Recently we haven't done much in the ways of our beer brewing journey.  I have half of the ingredients for the next three brews, with the rest coming on Monday.  The only beer-related stuff I've got is actually drinking the stuff, so I'll continue on with the beer reviews.

I found Meinklang Ancient Grains Ale at Whole Foods in Clarendon and thought I'd pick up a couple of bottles.  I love Dogfish Head's foray into ancient beer recipes and hoped for something similar.  The bottle claims the beer is 100% biodynamic.  I had to look that one up at Wikipedia: "Biodynamic agriculture is a method of organic farming with homeopathic composts that treats farms as unified and individual organisms, emphasizing balancing the holistic development and interrelationship of the soil, plants, animals as a self-nourishing system without external inputs..."  Ok, let's try it then.

Appearance: Golden-yellow, cloudy.  White head with good retention.

Aroma: Bready-yeasty.  Not much else going on here.

Taste: Dull, mostly flavorless.  No hop character and no finish.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation coats the tongue with big bubbles.  Easy to drink.

Overall: Very boring beer.  It actually tastes a lot like Coors Light, but three times the price.

Grade: D (if only because I was expecting much more)

Only three reviews on BeerAdvocate with an average of C (will stay there or lower when I'm done).  One guy gave it an A- but it seems that's for "easy drinking".  Tonzi at J Street Beer gave it his "Meh" rating (1 out of 3) and compared it to Budweiser.

I'm glad I'm currently drinking DuClaw Misery.  Much, much better.  Too bad I'm lazy right now and won't do this review.  But Misery is worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment