Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Recipes and Creativity

I've been reading through the book, Radical Brewing, and have gotten about 60 pages in.  To put it gently, I feel stupid for thinking I was making anything close to good beer.  I guess I wanted to read some beer books to get a feel for the creative and technical side of brewing, but I was nervous that it would all be over my head.  I assumed that getting a good recipe and following basic directions was enough to make a quality beverage and it actually was.  But the beer competition got me thinking about how we could make a "very good" beer into a "world class" beer without crazy equipment.

It turns out, with some attention to detail and creative thinking, we could probably elevate the quality of the beer significantly.  The book had one interesting point which really stuck with me.  The author said he always adds something to the beer recipe that nobody would be able to guess.

We're brewing our Pilsner tonight.  What will our twist be?

1 comment:

  1. I think we did a pretty good job of being creative last night. I'll be impressed if the judges (or any readers that get a chance to try our beer) figure out what we did.

    ReplyDelete