Sunday, April 17, 2011

Friends Like Ours

Last night we had a mass birthday celebration for all our friends born between March 15 and April 30.  I have to say, my friends love beer variety.  Expecting a crowd of 30 or so random people, we stocked the fridge, beer fridge and cooler with Coors Light and Yuengling cans.  We did not ask anybody to bring any beer.  Upon inspection this morning, I'm pretty sure we still have the same amount of Coors and Yuengling.  My friends showed up bearing gifts.  Beer gifts!  A four pack of Midas Touch, a six of The Raven, Hoegaarden, and more that I just can't think of right now.  We will not be pawns of the American beer industry!  Plus, as a special gift, one friend brought me a 750 ml of Firestone's Walker Reserve Porter and promised me a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops next week.  Pretty awesome.

Before the party, I opened up a bottle of Honey Brains for a few friends to try.  I told them to be honest about it, but they all said they really enjoyed it.  My girlfriend made a good point about it: the extra sugars from honey seemed to dry out the finish and take away the syrupy aftertaste that barleywines can sometimes have.  Plus there's no alcohol burn, even at about 9% ABV.  I'm very curious about how this beer will fare at the home brew competition in a couple of weeks. 

On top of that, we received lots of interest in our brewing/bottling coming up next week.  So now we'll have friends and helpers!  And photos!

Now, what to do with 30 Coors Light....

2 comments:

  1. Will be on hand with camera at the ready :) Keep in mind, this venture is still in development, so don't expect any Annie Lebowitz-style photos of the brewmasters :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just enjoyed one of the leftover Newcastle Summer Ales tonight. Our friends definitely have good taste!

    ReplyDelete