Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Review - Sofie by Goose Island...Bring on the Funk.


I was a bit skeptical at first when Eric insisted on detouring to a random liquor store in AdMo last Friday before making our Easter pilgrimage to Pittsburgh, but once I saw their beer selection, I was literally sold...on three delicious bottles of beer. Two bottles: Sofie by Goose Island. The third bottle: Le Merle by North Coast Brewing, but more on that one later.

If you've read my bio, you know that I am a fan of the wild ale. Not many beer fans care for the tart and refreshing taste mixed with an odd mix of flavors known to be reminiscent of a barnyard. But me, maybe it's just a love of adventure and the unpredictable, but I will drink any wild ale I find. Although I do prefer that my ideal wild ale not contain any fruit juice.

But on to Sofie. Fermented with wild yeasts and aged in wine barrels with orange peel, this is not your typical beer. The label says that I can age it up to five years, so I bought one bottle to drink now and one to age.

Appearance: Light golden color with carbonation bubbles floating up from the bottom like champagne. About two fingers of extremely foamy white head.

Aroma: Nice refreshing, tart, and funky aroma typical of a classic wild ale. I definitely smell the orange peel along with hints of lavendar, and fresh cut hay.

Taste: Starts of crisp and deliciously sharp with a wallop of carbonation and a delightfully mouth-puckering bite, but it (too) quickly tapers off to the orange flavor and the trademark 'barnyard' flavor that curiously reminds me of slightly moldy apples. (Now you really want to drink this beer.)

Mouthfeel: I love the crisp start, but the carbonation dies so quickly that the tasting experience isn't as smooth as I would like.

Overall: This is a beer that can definitely use some aging. I'm excited to try it again in a few years and see how it's matured, because it holds a lot of promise. I'm glad I drank it right away, but I'd advise others to wait.

Grade: A solid B with room to grow over time.

The Popular Vote: 485 Beer Advocates give this beer an A-, the Beer Taster loves it, and so does the Full Pint, but the World of BeerCraft seems undecided.

So, if you've never tried a wild and wonderful ale, I wouldn't advise you to make Sofie your first, but you're welcome to join me in 2015 when I crack open the second bottle, because I'm sure it will be fantastic.


2 comments:

  1. This beer becomes very bland, very quickly. If you let it warm up even the slightest, it isn't even drinkable...I had to pour it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this happens with a lot of saisson-styles. If it gets warm, the high carbonation masks any good flavors. Wild ales also tend to get super-funky when warming. All the nice barnyard flavors come out.

    ReplyDelete