Monday, April 25, 2011

Review - Brooklyn Black Ops

According to the bottle, Brooklyn Black Ops does not exist.  But, I can assure you, it most certainly does.  It kicked my ass on Friday night and I barely lived to tell about it.  There's a lot going on here (as I'll explain shortly).  The bottle also claims that only 1000 cases are made, which adds the the mystique and allure of this Imperial Stout.  At 11.3% ABV, it packs a punch - this beer is not for the faint of heart or lightweights.

Appearance: Dark brown color, a bit darker than cola, tan head about one finger size…no lacing on the glass. 

Aroma: Chocolate cordial – rum aroma, can definitely smell the alcohol in this one. 

Taste: Dark chocolate with some sour cherry notes up front, alcohol burn and a bit of black licorice in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth at first, coats the mouth and doesn’t diminish at all.  Carbonation helps balance the alcohol at first. Mouth tingles from the alcohol at the end.

Overall: Can’t decide if I love it or hate it but this beer doesn’t allow you to settle somewhere in the middle.  If drinking a goblet, I give it an A.  If drinking half a bottle, then I give it a C.  This beer is good in moderation but a killer if you’re enjoying a bottle yourself.  Worth trying and sharing with many people who love a good stout.

Beer Advocate reviewers (about 500 of them) give this beer an A-.  Daily Beer Review feels the same way I do, but wrote about it way more eloquently.  Many other reviews I've found feel the same - mainly that it's good in moderation but impossible to drink a whole bottle.  Also, many feel that it's not worth the price (anywhere from $17-$25 per 750ml bottle). 

Image respectfully borrowed from the Beer & Whiskey Brothers Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment